[alfa] vibrations

Not to pick on Joe Elliott, but he says;: "...(damn "professionals" who
installed my new tires in August seriously overtightened them!)"

*********
If I had a crapped out Pinto, I wouldn't let an impact wrench anywhere
near my wheels (actually, virtually any other part of my car). The Kid
next door who works mostly on Hondas always uses an impact wrench on
just about anything and anywhere he can get it to fit - especially
wheels. I can possibly see removing the lug nuts with one (since they
quite possibly were put on with an impact wrench and overtightened), but
not to install and tighten the nuts. Asked T.K. what was the exact
torque he used when installing the lug nuts. The answer, "Tight."

I pity the poor busy executive who drops off his Round-Tail to have a
new set of tires installed only to receive a phone call an hour later,
"Unnnh, my guy twisted off three studs on the driver's side before he
figured out what was wrong. Your car will be ready in a
week...hopefully."

All tire shops have lug wrenches, they just keep them well hidden.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA