Re: [alfa] vibrations

alfacybersite wrote:

If I had a crapped out Pinto, I wouldn't let an impact wrench anywhere
near my wheels (actually, virtually any other part of my car). The Kid
next door who works mostly on Hondas always uses an impact wrench on
just about anything and anywhere he can get it to fit - especially
wheels.
Biba,

I'm disappointed to learn of your anti-impact prejudices. When working on a rusty car, an impact wrench is a god-send. Not because of the amount of torque it develops... With a half inch ratchet in my hand, I'm much stronger (than a 1/2 impact) It's how it delivers the torque. Where a hand tool will happily torque a corroded fasterner clean in half, an impact wrench generally breaks it loose, or doesn't budge it.

As for torquing lug-nuts, every impact wrench I've used has an adjuster to limit final torque. My cheapo 1/2 impact delivers very repeatable final torque. You can't just crank the lug-nuts right down... but you sneak up on them, in a star-pattern to make sure the wheel seats flush.

Air ratchets are peticularly handy too.

Oh, wait now I get it... You charge by the hour. :)

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org