[alfa] Re: 115 spider cooling system saga bypass valves

Hmmm... I read the article, and as it looks to me, the flow restrictor still has some use.

It isn't just a basic restrictor of a single hole. It is an aprox 1/8" orifice, in a spring loaded plate of maybe 1/2" dia. So, when the thermostat is fully closed, the pressure overwhelms the spring pressure and you get a big bypass flow thru the engine as it warms. Then, when the thermo starts opening, the pressure goes down, the bypass valve closes, leaving the smaller hole for less bypass flow, eventually the thermo opens fully and at the same time blocks the bypass for full radiator flow.

Possibly the limited bypass flow helps the thermostat block plate close off..

Anyway, this I figured out by looking at the old one I have laying around in a hose from my basket case motor. So, I'm sold... and want to put it in a new hose for my rebuilt motor.

$100,000 question... how the heck do you get this thing into a new hose, when it looks to be 20% larger in diameter than the hose? Boil the hose and use a speculum?? Or can you still buy bypass hoses with them embedded inside?

Jon

Rich Hirsch's excellent article at http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/3837/bypassco.html is good reading if you haven't already seen it. The only thing I'm muddy about is the fact that the thermostat is acutally a "dual mode" design that is supposed to BLOCK the bypass hose in the fully open position (that's why generic thermostats from Grand Auto or Kragen don't really work on Alfas). So it seems like the function of the restrictor is a little redundant - it regulates the circulation when the thermostat is closed (but who cares since the radiator is not in the loop) and flow to the restrictor is blocked by the thermostat when the thermostat is open. So I am actually puzzled - unless Alfa designed the flow restrictor before they developed the dual action thermostat and the restrictor was left in as a "prehensile tail". But I never took mine out for fear of what Fred might do to me if he ever found out! ;->
Hope this helps somewhat.
Cheers,
Charlie