Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 01:38 AM 11/15/2003, you wrote:

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:26:30 -0800
From: Jon Pike <jhpike@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Re: 115 spider cooling system saga  bypass valves

Hmmm...  I read the article,  and as it looks to me,  the flow
restrictor still has some use.

It isn't just a basic restrictor of a single hole.  It is an aprox 1/8"
orifice, in a spring loaded plate of maybe 1/2" dia.  So, when the
thermostat is fully closed,  the pressure overwhelms the spring pressure
and you get a big bypass flow thru the engine as it warms.  Then,  when
the thermo starts opening,  the pressure goes down,  the bypass valve
closes,  leaving the smaller hole for less bypass flow,  eventually the
thermo opens fully and at the same time blocks the bypass for full
radiator flow.

Possibly the limited bypass flow helps the thermostat block plate close
off..

Anyway,  this I figured out by looking at the old one I have laying
around in a hose from my basket case motor.  So, I'm sold...  and want
to put it in a new hose for my rebuilt motor.

$100,000 question... how the heck do you get this thing into a new
hose,  when it looks to be 20% larger in diameter than the hose?  Boil
the hose and use a speculum??   Or can you still buy bypass hoses with
them embedded inside?

Jon