[alfa] Rocker panel diagnosis?

Interesting thought.. Probably not from just the flexing, but possible from the door or trunklid dinging into the sills with flexes.

You could try putting something soft but crushable in the space, or something that might mark the opposite side... but it's a little too late for your car.

If a 116 GT is as flexable as Beatle says.. I don't want to know about my Spider..
Actually I have noticed that the doors close harder while she's been up on jackstands or with
some corner held higher than the others.
Something I noticed a while ago.. there was a mention of Wolf Steel, who makes repro body panels for various cars, including Alfa, and they had a cross section diagram of the rocker panel area. http://www.alfaparts.net/ Look for the rocker panel discussion button..

Anyway the thing that struck me was the "extra" rocker they have. Normally there's the inner rocker and support making an upside down "L" shape, with the rockers rounding the outside of
the L.. with occasional triangular gusset plates. He has a cross rocker that goes immediatly across the L, turning it into a triangular box section. (if this dosen't make sense, look at the cross section diagram)
It looks like this would add a lot of stiffness to the Spider body. Of course, the only problem is that you would have to tear off the current rockers and put all three layers back on... but if you were fixing some rust there anyway, it might be worth doing. I have no idea if you would need more stiffness at the ends of the body, like with the Eriminas chassis stiffener, and it would certanly cost more if you weren't already doing a full rocker replacement, but it's an idea.

Jon

Digestibles,
   I noticed an interesting phenomena on my Duetto.  Before I had the rocker panels replaced, the paint on the door edges and trunk lid edges was severely chipped.  Since the rocker replacement, not one chip in 2 years now.
   I have also noticed this chipping on other spiders with rusty rockers. Maybe all this chipping is an indication of body flex caused by rockers not doing their job?  What do the members think?
Skip Patnode

67 Duetto