[alfa] Street Roll Bar install writeup

In a message dated 10/16/2003 4:32:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:33:33 -0700
> From: Benjamin Kaupp <bkaupp@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] Street Roll Bar install writeup
>
> okay... I finally managed to steal some bandwidth from UCSC, so here
> for your enjoyment is the writeup and pictures of my installation of
> the Autopower roll bar and some Sparco harnesses. It also explains for
> the several people who asked why I installed a bar and belts if I have
> brakes that scare pedestrians and make tarantulas want to mate with me.
> So check it out!
> http://www.ugconnection.com/4kq/barpix/install.html

     Unless you are really short and your head is below the top of the street bar, you should not be using dual shoulder belts.  In the event of a roll over, you do not want to be held bolt upright in the seat.  You want to be able to slip out of the shoulder harness and put your head in the passenger seat.  With any luck your head might stay there after the first bounce.
     Under the Alfa Romeo Owner's Club Competition Code, you are not allowed to autocross with dual shoulder belts unless your roll bar is above the top of your helmet.  The AutoPower street bar is not legal at all for Alfa Club time trials and is considered to not exist for autocross.
     In my not at all humble opinion, the street bars should not be labeled and sold as a "roll" bar.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City