[alfa] Radiator paint

Jon, Eastwood sells a black gloss radiator paint which they claim is
better than standard engine paints as they are too thick and can
interfere with heat transfer.

that said, I generally use Rust-Oleum satin black. I feel the gloss
black that radiator shops glob on looks more than a bit garish. I've
never felt radiators were particularly aesthetically pleasing (except
for a few aluminum ones) so try to tone down their glossiness.

Years ago I was picking up items at a shop which specialized in Fiat
engines (yes it was a long time ago) and they were spraying an iron
block with standard gray (their shop color) paint. I asked if it would
hold up to the heat. The answer (though not positive on the exact
degree) was something like, "Regular paint is good up to 300 degrees. If
the engine gets hotter than that, the paint is the least of the
problems."

After painting the '60 Spider's radiator satin black and installing,
decided it looked too dull in the Giulietta's engine bay. There were
also a few dings in the header tank. I emptied, removed, repaired the
dings, and painted the header with gloss black. In that particular car
it looked correct to me.

I'm not a believer in the removal of all paint on brass headers and then
polishing. Way too much visual attention to the radiator, not to mention
(certainly in this case) one is cutting back on heat transfer
properties.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA