RE: more on gear lightening- Warranties!

At 6:31 PM +0000 8/29/03, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:21:56 -0600
From: bearbvd@domain.elided (Greg Hermann)
Subject: RE: more on gear lightening- Warranties!

At 9:36 AM 8/29/03, Jason Hagen wrote:

Lightening the gears costs money,
yes, it does.

but may affect reliability and
strength of the gears.
No, it does NOT.

Greg
While it theoretically won't affect reliability of an otherwise-stock car if done properly, I'm fairly certain that removing a whole bunch of metal from the gears will affect their ultimate strength. Those gearboxes are fairly overbuilt as far as I can tell, which is why people get away with 24V 3 liters, twin turbos, Maserati V8s, Chevy V8s, etc, and retain their stock gearboxes. When an Alfa gearbox does fail, its usually because the supercharged Chevy V8 you put in your Alfetta twisted the input shaft in half, not because a gear failed. If you don't believe me, just think about how many times you hear about a RWD Alfa gearbox failure vs. a Honda gearbox failure, especially on modified cars. And that's exactly why the synchros fail--the gears are a lot beefier than they have to be, and the synchros aren't.

-Joe