[alfa] RE: more on gear lightening- Warranties!

> Based on what analysis?  Have you (or somebody else)
> performed a Finite
> Element Analysis of the gears, loads and durability of the
> modified gears?
>
> Alternatively, has somebody tracked that there have been no
> failures to date
> with any of the gear lightening modified transmissions?
>
> I would tend to agree with your siggestion that it likely
> wouldn't affect
> strength (i.e. circular lightening performed correctly would
> not typically
> result in stress concentrations, etc.), but where's the
> evidence to say
> "NO"?

I'd try to qualify Gregs statement that it does not affect reliability,
assuming it is done properly.  Cut too much out of the gear and you're
liable to weaken in enough to cause problems.

I think enough people are putting enough hard racing miles on gearboxes
with lightened gears inside them to draw the conclusion that lightening
the gears properly does not result in a higher failure rate.

bs