[alfa] RE: more on gear lightening

<snip>
> I guess that's a long winded way of saying, the factory was
> right, but as we've perhaps deviated from the original
> requirements, perhaps a few enhancements are in order. My .02
<snip>

I don't think the factory was right.  IIRC, the original gearbox design
was intended for four gears, addition of the fifth added extra stress to
the synchros.  People (some) learned how to deal with it through double
clutching and the like, but synchros still wore prematurely (20k - 50k
miles).

Having driven many miles with standard, unlightened gears, and driven
some with lightened gears, I know how I'll take mine.  I don't think I'd
ever go through the effort of rebuilding another box without having the
gears lightened at the same time.

bs