Re: alfa-digest V9 #738 - Spider resto (Rotisserie)

In a message dated 8/26/2003 6:10:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
bshorey@domain.elided writes:

> >    The nice thing about a rotisserie is you can position the car
> to the
> >best angle for welding.  I can and do weld upside down, but I am not
> good at
> >it.  Plus gravity definitely helps the molten puddle meld into the
> surrounding
> >metal.  Most things that I have welded upside down get the welds
> ground down
> >and done a second time just to get a good job.
>
> Right, but this is exactly the thing I tried to warn about in my
> original response.
>
> With the car in a rotisserrie, on it's side, it might be a little
> 'bent'.  If you do a lot of welding while it's in that position
> (especially something like seam welding), then you might end up with a
> car that's a little twisted after you take it out of the rotisserrie.
>
> Just a word of caution.  I suppose you could weld one seam or floor on
> one side, then rotate the car in the rotisserrie to do the other side,
> but it is something to be aware of.
>
> bs

       Welding does warp iron.  I have adjusted the alignment of an Alfa rear
axle by welding on the tube (who says you cannot align a live rear axle?).  I
cut fit and welded a roll bar, removed it for finish welding and had to use a
port a power to get it bolted back into place.
       On a spider body on a rotisserie, I weld braces from the front cowl to
the rear before doing extensive floor board work.  I also considered making
bars to bolt into the door openings of my Giulia spider.
       The rotisserie I had was like two large engine stands.  A local shop
has a Spridget body on a rotisserie made of two engine stands at the moment.
The Sprite / Midget body may be lighter than any Alfa body.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City