Re: Lost Alfa

<Sonny makes some good points. And Brad, do I feel for you on the loss of the
<car. BTDT.

<Many states *will* allow a lawyer or other legit professional (read
<'licensed') to research/trace car ownership for historical purposes. But there has to
<be a reasonably good story and the state *definitely* wants someone on which to
<hang the blame if things go south, thus the 'licensed professional in good
<standing' thing.

<Once you find the VIN and the state, you can probably find a decent lawyer in
<that state to send the current owner a note saying something like "My client
<once owned this car and would be interested in purchasing it back from you, if
<it were ever put up for sale. Please let me know." Your lawyer would keep
<both your names secret from the other until you both agreed it was OK to release
<them to each other. Maybe could even do the sale anonymously.

<Might be worth a try, all they could say is "No."

<My $.02, YMMV

<Tom
<Seattle

Thanks Tom. All good suggestions. I'm not sure if I'm to the point where I want to start paying lawyer's fees. Heck, I paid a lot to lawyers and lost the car in the first palce.

Brad