Painting Monterey Red...

Hey all -

    So I got the hankering the other day to watch my copy of Painting Monterey Red, but of course, my VCR died a while ago and I never bothered to replace it.

    This led me to bring the tape to work to convert it to DVD.  Unfortunately, seeing as how I hadn't watched it in a while, I had forgotten how shabby it really looked.  VHS really is a pretty lossy format, and doesn't deal well with heavily saturated reds.

    All of which makes me wonder - it was obviously originally shot on film - what are the odds that the original film still exists, and could a new transfer from film to DVD be feasable?  Where would one even begin looking?  Telecine technology has come a long way in the past couple of decades - it'd be nice to see Fangio tossing the 159 around in rich, vibrant color...

- Paul Witek