What are these screws for, and why is coolant leaking out of one of them?

In a message dated 8/2/2003 11:34:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 20:14:57 -0500
> From: "Matthew Hanselman" <mjhanselman@domain.elided>
> Subject: What are these screws for, and why is coolant leaking out of one of
> them?
>
> Can anybody tell me what the large (like around 17mm) hex screws on the top
> of my head are for, between each cylinder?
>
> My 73 Spider has five of them, and after a hard drive, there is a little
> coolant pooling in the frontmost one.  I don't feel like pulling the head
> (just yet), and don't want to be unscrewing anything that should only be
> done with the head off, etc etc...
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> - - Matt
> 73 Spider
> 03 Protege5

       Those "screws" are not screws, but plugs.  To the best of my
knowledge, the plugs are required as the result of sand casting the head.  They serve
no other purpose, that I can determine.
       However, many racers remove them and build a manifold to connect them
and return hot water to the radiator.  Removing the water from the top of the
head does two things.  First it removes the water from the hottest part of the
engine.  Plus that means hot water no longer flows through the intake
manifold.  That means the carburetor / injection can run cooler and might deliver a
more dense charge into the cylinder.
       For photos of such a water manifold look at Mike Valant's web page, <A HREF="http://www.mev.cc/";>
http://www.mev.cc/</A> click on Alfa Romeo and then on Giulia Super Engine Rebuild.
The photos are clear at the bottom.  The Water manifold is silver, the plug
wires are blue, just in case the manifold is hard to see.

       So to fix your leak, just unscrew the plug, seal it with the sealant
of your choice and screw it back it.  No need to pull the head, the plugs only
go into the water jacket.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City