Quibbling (was: Re: 4R Zagato)

Responding explicitly to my statement that "I question at least the 'built on
a Giulia floorpan' part", George Graves wrote "Looks as if one can't post
anything anymore without 'quibblers' making one out to be a liar." In
academia, where I perhaps spent too much time (and in bars, ditto), one can
generally question an apparent statement of fact or opinion in the course of a
discussion without making someone out to be a liar, or otherwise giving
offence. I hope everyone else understands that I was questioning only a fact,
and not George's honesty. This was, of course, also the case in my later
questioning whether Jaguar, or someone other than Jaguar, had built the
attractive close copies of several earlier Jaguar models. Such details  may
not be important to most people, but there shouldn't be much harm, or cause
for umbrage, in being curious about the answers to even unimportant
questions.

I have long been more interested in structures than in outward forms. The
chassis of the 4R may or may not incorporate some of a 101 floorpan, with
major changes at the front; I can't think of any reason why it should, and it
seems unlikely; simpler frames are easy enough to build. The last one I saw
was slick enough outside, but what I could see of the chassis construction (at
the front only, didn't crawl under the back half) seemed crude enough that I
wondered whether it had been wrecked and the repairs botched. When/if I see
another I will be more curious and more thorough about looking at the rest of
it. Meanwhile, if anyone can add to what is already in print about the car, I
will certainly welcome it.

Cheers

John H.