Alfa Replicas

In a message dated 8/3/2003 4:15:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 19:21:39 +0000 (GMT)
> From: greg@domain.elided
> Subject: replicas (SS100)..

<snip>

> The jaguar SS100, not to mention all kinds of other kit cars and "custom"
> cars are interesting, but I just about never see any Alfas. Did anyone
> (individual or company) set to out seriously make Alfa kit cars or Alfa
> replicas?
>
> Greg

       The only Alfa "replica" I am aware of was built in the 1970's by
Classic Motor Carriage of Buffalo New York.  I think that was the name, anyway.  I
visited a dealer years ago and still have some literature around here
somewhere.
       The "Alfa" was built on a VW chassis using Model A Ford wire wheels.
JC Whitney sold new Model A wires, so those were readily available.  The
company also built a Bugatti, a Mercedes and a Frazier Nash on the same VW chassis.
 The Frazier Nash was the best of the bunch in my opinion, as it had full
fenders.
       A friend in Arkansas still has a Frazier Nash he built years ago.  He
poured two sacks of cement in the front of the floor pan to make it handle
anywhere close to reasonably.
       These "Alfa" replicas occasionally show up on eBay.  I found one here
in Oklahoma City a few years ago.  I offered the owner what I thought a good
price for the body only.  I wanted to build a tube frame and use a real Alfa
engine.  I even dreamed of hooking two Alfa engines together to create a 8C 3900
inline engine.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City