Re: 105 Euro Air Cannister

From: "Mitch" <wolberg5@domain.elided>
Subject: 105 Euro Air Cannister

Mitch,

As Dana correctly stated, there was a flexible cardboard and foil tube which
attached to the bottom of a flimsy metal 'heat flange' which was attached to
the head (at the intake manifold, if I remember correctly) and the fender
well (at the motor mount, I think).  Its purpose was to direct engine-warmed
air through the air filter in the winter months.  These pieces rusted away
quickly I think (mine was pretty rusty).  They also made a terrible
'buzzing' noise if not in great shape.  The tube and pre-heated air were
probably a good idea in temperatures below about 35 degress (Farenheit), but
my car runs just fine without it.  I just leave mine in the 'E' position all
year.

"...there are 2 settings for the stock carb air cannister. The "E" position
opens a vent that points to the engine and the "I" closes that and opens to
a tube that points down. At first I assumed that the E was for summer
operation and the "I" was for winter with a tube (missing) that picked up
engine heat from somewhere else in the engine bay. But now I'm thinking that
I may have it backwards and that the missing tubing might provide cold air
from the behind
the grill. I'm sure someone here must know which is right."