105 Euro Air Cannister

I was poking around on my 69 Spider Jr. (replaced the regulator) and noticed
that there are 2 settings for the stock carb air cannister. The "E" position
opens a vent that points to the engine and the "I" closes that and opens to a
tube that points down. At first I assumed that the E was for summer operation
and the "I" was for winter with a tube (missing) that picked up engine heat
from somewhere else in the engine bay. But now I'm thinking that I may have it
backwards and that the missing tubing might provide cold air from the behind
the grill. I'm sure someone here must know which is right.

Mitch Wolberg,
Denver CO
69 Berlina
69 Spider Jr.