Exhaust and Spica Upgrade?

Should this be my excuse to send the Spica off to Wes Ingram for an
overhaul? The car has 63,000 miles, starts easily and appears to run fine,
but maybe Wes' magic could give me a little more "go"? Also, a recent oil
change made me suspect I was getting some fuel in the oil, but how can one
be sure?

Second, I'm in the process of trying to learn more about aftermarket exhaust
systems. I have searched the archives and got some info, but I don't have
enough information to make a decision about what kind of system to get. Is
the common complaint about Ansa systems rusting due to driving in wet
conditions, or do they rust from the inside out from condensation? Are
Stebros more difficult to install than Ansa? Is there a difference between
"free flow" and the stock 3-piece exhaust system? Would either system offer
noticeable performance improvement? With its "historic" plates, my car is
not required to pass NY smog tests...can I eliminate the catalytic converter
to gain power ('green' issues aside). Any other things to consider?

Thanks.

Nils Huehnergarth
74 GTV 2000 Veloce

Hi Nils..

Hmmm.. 63K miles is really low for a 74.. (assuming its not 163K or 263K, etc) If they were well serviced miles, I would think the Spica would be in good shape.. but if the PO(s) didn't change oil often, or never changed the Spica oil filter.. it might be another story.

If you don't already have one, Wes Ingram's Spica book is a wise investment. On the gas in the oil assment, what I've heard is to remove the barometric capsule (plate on top of the pump with three screws, find a diagram) and you can stick your finger carefully down in there to the oil in the pump. Smell your finger.. (did I really say that??) or using a stick instead of finger, try to light the oil. It should be pretty obvious if you have some leakage.

On your exhaust question.. its a 74 and it has a cat converter?!?! They didn't start with those till 75 and later! If it's really a cat, it shouldn't be there.. somebody got confused. Best bet would be a new front downpipe/ first resonator piece for the 72-74's
Mine and other's experience is that Ansa's rust out rather quickly. Stebro's supposesdly last forever, but are pricey. My old Alfa mechanic used to say that the stock exhaust system was good enough, that you didn't have much to gain with Ansa or other more "performance" types. Headers are another story though. If you have the one piece header for the later cat cars, instead of the two piece (two, two into one cast iron pieces) header you should have, it's worth getting.. or even better, a tube header. Others might have more info on aftermarket tube headers..

Hope it helped..

Jon
77 Spider