re: Autodelta

At 12:14 PM +0000 7/12/03, alfa-digest wrote:
3) Kit cars do need to meet the emissions laws based on the date of
manufacture of the engine in most states.  Rarely enforced.  Interesting
note- if you are not an OEM or aftermarket supplier, the US EPA does not
actually have authority,  the state does.  So kits, personal modifications,
whatever, are between you and your state.

I don't feel sorry for these guys at all.  They cheated, got caught, and
now have to pay the price.  I can tell you, what they will pay is a drop in
the bucket to what us and GM have paid.  Clean air is a priority in this
country, thankfully.
The kit car laws, even if they aren't enforced, are BS that makes our air (marginally) dirtier. If clean air were really a priority in this country, rednecks wouldn't be encouraged to use pushrod V8's with single carburetors and no emissions controls rather than modern pushrod V8's with EFI, etc. The same is true for the Alfa community. If you're building a TZ replica, you might be tempted by the power and low emissions of a Motronic TwinSpark, but if that means being held to 1989 USA emissions standards that the Euro-spec TwinSpark didn't meet, and having to fit a catalyst into your custom exhaust system, you're going to go with a (relatively) filthy Spica 2.0L from 1972.

If clean air were really a priority in this country, the biggest source of air pollution--power generation and other heavy industry--would be held to the same standards as passenger cars.

If clean air were really a priority in this country, heavy trucks would be held to the same sort of emissions standards that they are in Europe. In the USA, to my knowledge, they're not held to any standards at all, and don't have catalysts.

If clean air were really a priority in this country, "light trucks" (SUVs, pickups, and minivans) wouldn't be exempted from so many of the stringent standards applied to "passenger cars," particularly CAFE fuel economy standards.

Even if clean air were a real priority in this country, I'm willing to bet that the air wouldn't be measurably dirtier if individuals were allowed to import cars for personal use that met the similar-but-different European standards.

If Autodelta USA really did lie about Clean Air Act compliance, well shame on them, but is prosecuting them worth the tax dollars it will cost? Sure they broke the law, but the air would be dirtier if they'd just gone the legal route of installing 1995 164LS engines in their cars and calling them kits cars. Is the government going to come after me next, because my headlights and AC refrigerant are illegal, despite being safer than the mandated alternatives? I suppose they have every right to.

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6