Re: Di-electric Grease

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Shures wrote:

> I am not sure myself.  My buddy restored Jaguars, some of which sat for
> years and had to have every connection attended to. His theory, and mine
> too, is that the grease prevents moisture from getting in to (re)
> corrode the contact.  Others say that it has electrical insulating
> properties that somehow reduce corrosion.  I do know that it makes
> connections easier to take apart the next time.  This applies to both
> fasteners like bolts, studs, screws and to connectors.

If this is what I think your referring to, I've used "No-Ox" on
connections (not in cars, but in large DC powered areas). Your theory is
pretty accurate. It's the oxidation that builds up over time that causes
intermittant connections. The no-ox is just that, no-oxidation. Not sure
if this all the same stuff, but that stuff works well.