Di-electric Grease

Jon,

I am not sure myself. My buddy restored Jaguars, some of which sat for years and had to have every connection attended to. His theory, and mine too, is that the grease prevents moisture from getting in to (re) corrode the contact. Others say that it has electrical insulating properties that somehow reduce corrosion. I do know that it makes connections easier to take apart the next time. This applies to both fasteners like bolts, studs, screws and to connectors.

I use RTV on big connections to the body which I am told is overkill. However, almost every car has a point where several grounds come together near the radiator. On my Saab daily driver, that point is in a place that catches water spray (and salt which isn't a problem for the Alfa). RTV stays put for years but should allow me to take it apart when needed without busting my knuckles again. The GTV-6 has several places under the hood that get wet in the rain where I recall using a bit of RTV also. Grease would wash away in short order....

I am interested to hear what others have to say as I can't imagine di-electric grease having any insulating properties. And I don't know what potting compound and heat sinking compounds are or if they are different from di-electric grease. The electronics at the coil call for one or the other and I have no clue.

Jon Durham wrote:

"I clean the contacts gently
with the file(s), apply some di-electric grease"

What does the grease do?

Jon Durham