RE: Polishing stainless

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but another solution to
your dilemma.  ReOriginals carries the tops to the early bumpers for
about $80 each.  I would think this would be a far easier route to take.

That being said, I had the rear bumper professionally polished with good
results, but don't know the steps they took.  It sounds like you are on
the right track, start with rougher grits work to smoother, but I don't
know the specifics.

Hope the previous info helps someone!

Cheers,
Ian Lomax