Polishing stainless

    Does anyone have any experience with polishing stainless steel, namely
the front bumpers of an early 70's spider? I have used some 2000 sandpaper and
some different grades of "jewelers rouge" on different grades of cotton wheels
with varied results. Nothing yet though is giving me the results I want. Any
advice from the digesters?  thanks in advance,
       Randy Long
       73 spider