Re: Polishing stainless

--- Raldel@domain.elided wrote:
>     Does anyone have any experience with polishing
> stainless steel, namely
> the front bumpers of an early 70's spider?

   Hi Randy,

   I have not as yet done bumpers, however, I was a
polisher for an antique dealer and have polished lots
of sterling silver and stainless steel.  All the
knives have sterling handles and stainless blades.
  For the stainless we used to use Green rouge with a
6 inch sewn wheel.  I can get an actual part number if
you like--or better yet, I think I still have a
couple.
  You must use a big wheel and a sewn wheel because
the stainless will just laugh at you otherwise.  You
must also be patient.  I used to charge my wheel and
then just sit there and let it go.  It generated LOTS
of heat!!!  But if you keep charging the wheel and be
patient it will come up looking like chrome.  Every
fourth or fifth time you charge the wheel, take an old
fork and stick the tines into the wheel to clean it
off.  This is important to maintain a good clean
charge.  Otherwise you are grinding the same stuff
over and over into the piece.
   Be patient and have fun with it.  The results are
worth it.  If I can be of further assistance, please
let me know.   Have a great day.
                     Mark Mucciacciaro