Milano Driveshaft assembly?

This may seem like a real silly question .

I separated the two halves of a Milano driveshaft to replace the center
support and center coupling. I can't seem to get them back together. The
problem is the centering bushing on the front half of the driveshaft won't
engage into the corresponding piece in the rear driveshaft.

Anyone BTDT? I feel like I'm missing something really obvious.

TIA,

Jeff