RE: A/C Dryer/exp. valve

Jack -

If the system has been open to the atmosphere for any length of time, the
receiver-dryer should be replaced. These contain a desiccant that removes
moisture from the system, so by being opened there is probably too much
moisture in it.

The expansion valve, should not be affected by the system having been
opened. However, the expansion valve is prone to becoming clogged with
particles of dirt. So, at the very least you should remove it (not too easy)
and clean the filter screen in it. If you look at it closely there is a very
fine mesh screen just behind and inside one of the hose connections.

I once changed the expansion valve on an '87 spider and managed to do it by
removing the glove inner piece in the dash that forms the glove box. You
need some very short, very large wrenches as I recall, but I was able to do
it without taking too much of the car apart.

As for retrofitting the system with 134a, I can't really comment as I have
never done the operation myself in an Alfa (or anything else for that
matter). I've heard so many conflicting things from different sources that I
don't know who or what to believe.

Regardless of what you use for refrigerant, you may want to have the whole
system flushed prior to having it charged to make sure there is no dirt in
the system as well..

If you remove the parts, and bring them to a decent parts store, they should
be able to match them up with some 'generic' parts that will be very close
and will work without a problem.

HTH,

Jeff