A/C Dryer/exp. valve

An A/C dryer is a topic that I need to know about for my A/C repair
project on my 82 Spider.
Should the A/C dryer and/or expansion valve be replaced if the A/C had
lost all of its freon (due to a chaffed hose leak) and had not been run
for four years or longer?  It would also seem to be a good idea to
convert to R134 refrigerant at this time. Right?
Jack
82 Spider V