Re: Milano V6 to Alfetta

Kyle,

firstly, now that I know it's a GT you want to convert, I say give it away
and buy a GTV6.  I've seen the prices you can get one for Stateside and the
conversion is going to be a pain, never really finished, and you end up with
neither a GT nor a GTV6 in the end.  Plus there is another Alfa chassis
number consigned to the scrapheap (the donor Milano).

OK, so you are adament that you are going to do it anyway !  Good on you.

I'd take all the drivetrain from the donor and shove it into the coupe.  The
propshaft will need to be modified for length, but this MAY be possible
using a combination of Milano/GT and Sedan factory parts.  The Sedan shaft
is about 6" longer than the GT in the front half IIRC.

The other thing will be the torsion bars.  I'd swap all the suspension over,
but the Milano has the shorter Tbars with the early 116 having the longer
bars with the removable aft mount.  Not a problem really, just something to
keep in mind.

I'm pretty certain that all Milanos and 116 cars have the same rear brakes
(just adequate).  Of course the GTV6 and Milano have ventilated front discs
and 5 stud hubs.

The gearshift linkage should be a cinch to make fit.

As for the speedo, I think you will need to swap some componentry to give
you a mechanical output at the gearbox.  I'm unsure exactly how the Milano
drive is arranged.  Any sort of square drive and ratio will do as you can
make a simple ratio-changer to get the correct reading on the Alfetta
instrument.  Stay with the mechanical Alfetta speedo as the 75s need the
intermediate electronic box and are notoriously unreliable, I'm assuming the
Milanos suffer similar problems.

An Alfetta transaxle is plenty strong enough for the V6.  I've seen a few
racing 116 coupes fitted with Chev V8s and the transaxles had no more
strengthening work than one would see on any race gearbox, even those
designed for a V8.

I still say buy a GTV6, but there is another option also.  A 75 Twinspark
engine into the GT would see a sweeter car I believe.  Now that I own a 75TS
I really wish Alfa had continued the 4cyl Alfetta GTV with this engine at
least until the eventual demise of the 75/Milano.

Beatle
Oz
'89 75TS