Re: Milano V6 to Alfetta

Kyle:

To mimic John Hertzman "I've been following this threadlet. . ." tho not with his interest as much as disgust. When he posted I went back to my mail box and found your post . . .

The reason that i'm doing a lot of work on the Alfetta (sorry... it is a GT) is because it was free. That and its kind of a test of wills; mine versus fate's.
Don't get in over your head. A 'free' car is a Good reason to consider your options!
Here's my read, factor in what everybody has said about the CHALLENGES of V6-ing the coupe. Then consider:

--what a fine engine the 4cyl dual overhead camshaft 2 liter Alfa engine is
--and it has a low maintenance steel timing chain
--and how much fun will it be changing water pumps and timing belts after you've shoe-horned the V6 into the Alfetta GT

Even if your 2 liter needs a rebuild, (an opportunity to get a bit more punch out it) you should still be $$ and Hours (days, years) ahead than with the V6 option.

Here's my read on the decision.
If your GT is rust free (and that is a Big IF) Alfetta GT's have structural places and interior panels that need to be checked for rust. (If not a V6 conversion and all that work is foolish). Than go with a good (your choice of $$ for how good) 4 cyl. Make sure your drive line, is balanced & aligned, w/good donuts. And enjoy your Alfetta.

Uh, if it is real rusty, patch it up and drive it till it dies. Or if terminal let it go.

Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett
Brenham, TX
164 L , 164 LS, '92 Spider (our return to 4 cyl. & timing chains) We are now an All Automatic Alfa family.

PS. In the past have owned Alfetta, GT, (Most beautiful & balanced and rustiest of our Alfas useful back seat)
a GTV6 not as good looking and no back seat for adults best performing of our Alfas.
and a Milano 2.5 V6. Good balance, high maintenance (can you say 'water pumps') very nice drive for 4 people.
My ideal Alfa would be a 4 cyl Automatic (164 or Milano) would trade my quad cam V6 for one in a heartbeat. bjb