Re: timing chain loose - follow up

At 11:32 PM 4/20/03, Paul Bayly wrote:
Ken,

Pull the cam cover and check the cam alignment marks.  If they are still
close I'd retime the cams, tighten the chain, and see if it runs this time.
Actually, I'd do this anyway.
When I pulled the chain tight between the cams everything was lined up perfectly . All the slack was around the chain tensioner - right where I had left it.

If you pull the plugs and shine a torch into the chamber, you may see
telltale marks if a valve has punched a piston
There was no evidence of that.

Carry out a compression check and if all seems OK just keep driving it.
I haven't done this, but I will. the only problem seems to be it is idling very low. Of course, I haven't started it for months and I still need to check the distributor timing, etc.

Thanks for the advice (and thanks to those who responded off line also).