timing chain loose

I just changed the head gasket in my '77 spider. Unfortunately, I forgot to tighten the timing chain before starting it. Damn. So, needless to say it barely ran, and after a short time (a minute?, maybe longer?) I heard the chain slapping, realized what it was and shut the engine down.

So, what damage did I likely do and how do I check for it? Do I have to pull the head off again and inspect the valves? Can I just fix the timing on the engine and do a compression test to check them?

Any advise is appreciated.