re: GTV6 Cold Start Injector

At 11:29 PM +0000 2/26/03, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:31:05 -0500
From: "Spencer, Graham" <Graham.Spencer@domain.elided>
Subject: GTV6 Cold Start Injector

I wanted to thank everyone who helped me find the solution to my warm
starting problem. It was indeed the cold start injector. If I disconnect the
injector wiring, the car starts right up when warm. So next question is the
injector just bad or do I look for something else? Is there a temp sender
that controls the injector that I need to check?

I _really_ want to thank everyone for all the help, this car is my daily
transport, and my shadetree skills are all I can afford. So keeping it
running is more than just a luxury right now, it's a necessity. I just
wanted to emphasize how appreciative I am.

Thanks,
graham
85 GTV6
The cold start injector is controlled by two switches, which BOTH have to be closed for it to fire. One is the START position of the ignition switch, and the other is the thermo-time switch. It gets its name because whether or not it closes is a function of temperature and time (how long it's been closed, in the event that it was cold enough to close in the first place). While the shop manuals have various resistance values to check the TTS, a reputable mechanic tells me that the only way you can be sure it's working is if it's working (or words to that effect). So I'm guessing yours is shot. Although I suppose it's possible that the wiring to the TTS (which is on the thermostat housing, BTW) is shorted out so your CSI could be coming on any time you start the car, despite having a good TTS.

Hope that helps,
Joe