mods, standards, and emissions...

The only thing I have to say about modifying your Alfa is to know what you really want and how you are going to use it. If the car is just a daily driver, I would not modify it. Most people complain about how much most Alfa lean- well, they still handle well when doing it, why are you worried. Or that it does not have enough power- which has merit, but you have to be careful that the car is not undriveable. Driving is the point of owning the car. My personal experience- even though we bought our '73 specifically to autocross and track, I found out how nice of a driver the car is without any changes. So now I have a second GTV to make into a vintage race car and autocross car. In a few years, our gold GT will be restored, and driven a lot more- what a wonderful car to drive.

Anyway, the point is to know what you are going to do with the car before changing anything. Too many people throw changes at Alfas then hate them, bad mouth the marque, and loose interest...

Standards/ modules- there are a BUNCH of controllers out there, none of which are really plug and play. Most of them, with proper hardware, will easily pass emissions if you have a catalyst (and there are some high flow models for that- check AlfaCentro for a V6 exhaust that they used dual high flow cats on). They can be tricky, or poorly put together. If you need help, feel free to write, I try to keep up on as many as I can, but the basics are all the same- fuel, air, spark.

Finally, that 45 year thing in California- if I'm not mistaken, that is unconstitutional- it's a retroactive law. What is that latin term for that?? This one is absolute BS, even though a car prior to 68 may put out 1000 time more emissions than the state of the art PZEV vehicle for sale in California, I'm reasonably sure that there are so few of these cars actually contributing to the problem that they should not be attacked. 30 years is reasonable. This after ranting about passing the current standard. Shows that its more about politics than science.

One final thing- after 5 years of struggle with my local cable company, I finally have Speed Channel!!!!! Yea, I know, NASCAR TV, but starting in November, I get to see the 156's defend their ETCC championship!!!!

Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor, MI

AROC Detroit Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~alfa/index.htm