Re: mods, standards, and emissions...

Eric Storhok wrote:
Anyway, the point is to know what you are going to do with the car before changing anything.
It's so hard to know when to stop. I know from experience. I had a Yamaha FZR400 back in the day, 400lbs of 15k RPM fun. It was an extremely competent motorcycle that was "comfortable" enough for me to log a 2500 mile trip on. But that wasn't good enough, I jammed a 600 motor in it, replaced the subframe with a crudely executed titanium one, replaced the tail section with a unpadded solo tail, and so on... It got to the point where I almost hated to ride it. It was faster and lighter, but no fun. I eventually sold it for parts.

Yet I still modify my Alfas. I'm hoping I'll know when to say when this time. Right now I'm trying to decide whether or not to go with performance cams or stock S cams in my daily driver 164S. Who doesn't want more power, but I'm not sure how much (mileage, smoothness, etc) I'm going to give up to get it.

One final thing- after 5 years of struggle with my local cable company, I finally have Speed Channel!!!!! Yea, I know, NASCAR TV, but starting in November, I get to see the 156's defend their ETCC championship!!!!
Speed Channel shows a lot of NASCAR, but it's hard to fault them for it. That's where the bulk of the audience is. I think their coverage of non-NASCAR stuff is actually getting better... I just wish I could get the PPV in-car camera channels for F1 that the NASCAR guys get (Why anyone would want to see 2 hours of flat out left turns is beyond me.) On Sunday I ordered a DirectTV/Tivo system for $250 installed. No more getting up at 1am to see them racing live on the other side of the globe.

--Mark