Spider clutch slave cylinder installation

        When I pull the transmission, I remove the rubber boot and the push
rod from the clutch slave.  I remove the rear snap ring and push the slave
forward, leaving it attached to the hose.  Getting it in and out can be a
bitch, as you found.
       I recall having to jack the back of the transmission up and down for
clearance to get it in.  I think the tie rod is in the road.  That is, do not
leave replacement to the last thing you do.  Do it before you bolt on the
rear transmission mount.
       I also recall painting the clutch slave once.  I had to remove the
paint before it would slip back into the bellhousing - clearance is tight.
       I have a bad habit of painting things before they go back on my Alfas.
 I would suggest you never paint the mounting flange of the flywheel or
anything else that is a machine fit.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City