Spider clutch slave cylinder installation

I recently reinstalled a transmission into my '74 Spider and got somewhat
hung up with the clutch slave installation.  I had left the slave cylinder
attached to the hydraulic hose to keep the system closed but had to be
somewhat forcefull pushing it back out of the mount after removing the snap
ring.  After the tranny installation I tried to push it in the reverse
direction that I removed it and it was hung up.  I tried the alternative of
removing the hydraulic line and installing from the rear to the front of the
car but the clutch fork gets in the way.  The installation was finally
successfull after I filed down some of the shim between the transmission and
the engine.  What's the best way to do this in the future?  Just install the
slave while the tranny is out of the car?

Jason Ritchie
'74 Spider
Boise, Idaho