Need New Tires and Your input

In a message dated 2/21/2003 7:31:55 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:28:09 -0600
> From: "Hunter Hogan" <hunter@domain.elided>
> Subject: RE: Need New Tires and Your input
>
> I had a 89 spider grad and I put Kumho 185/70/14 on it. (4 years ago). they
> handled awesome, but seemed prone to punctures. I had 3 major flats in 2
> years.
>
> I now have an 88 spider veloce and it handles much worse. (isn't the
> suspension different between 88 and 89?) plus, I need some front-end work.

    All 105 / 115 Alfa front suspensions are identical from about 1968
through 1994.  I think the clue is the last part about needing front end
work.
       There are some minor differences like the links from the sway bar to
the A arms, but no major changes since Alfas were fitted with Ate brakes.

> I like the oversized tires, I think that they grip better, but they are very
> difficult to turn in a parking lot. my girlfriend can barely parallel park
> the car, because they are so hard to turn.

       I run 205 60 14 tires on all my Alfas.  One of the reasons my wife was
willing to give up her 87 Spider Veloce for a 91 Spider Normale was to gain
power steering.  Interesting enough, she is getting better gas mileage,
although at the cost of higher octane requirements.
       And I hate tire companies.  Everytime I find a tire I really like, it
is discontinued by the time I need more.  Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City