shortening springs

OK...Iv'e been corrected and confirmed by a number of the digest's engineers....actually I am an ME, but spent my career in sales and have been retired for the past 6 years.....so I readily admit  to being rustier than an old Berlina with my metallurgical knowledge.....but, I did heat shorten the rear springs on my GT JR about 8 years ago .....they have about 30K road miles and over 70 track events since with no problems or subsequent sagging.....[ maybe Russ will read this and keep me off the track at Homestead].......does this work, or am I just lucky?
Frank Smith
Capital Chapter
69 1750 Spider
72  GT JR
Cockeysville, MD

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of Frank Smith.vcf]