RE: Shortening springs - don't heat them!

Please don't use this method.  If you want to lower a car, installed
different springs, or carefully cut yours, but don't heat them to
collapse them.

Springs collapse when heated because you're changing the metals
fundamental tensile properties, a key value in the spring formula.  And
you're doing just the opposite of what you want, not only does the car
now sit lower, but the spring will be softer so you're more likely to
bottom out.  But more importantly, you've now greatly increased the odds
of the springs failing and breaking.

Heating springs is an old hot-rod trick that was proven to be dangerous
years ago.

Ian Lomax
Mechanical Engineer - University of California, Berkeley and former
automotive engineer