Re: spider anti-theft

> I don't mean to be disrespectful here, but don't you think that any "pro"
car
> thief would have a knob similar that they could screw right in?  Let's
face it---
> if someone who knows what they are doing wants your car, there isn't much
> you can do about it.

Well, sure, but that's flawed logic, because it assumes that 100% of cars
are broken into and stolen by seasoned pros.  In fact, that's not true at
all.  A very large percentage of cars are broken into/vandalized/stolen by
kids or otherwise hacks.  Joyriders.  Kids who want to use the car in a
crime or something.  Simple theft deterrent devices help foil the hack
criminal, and therefore protect your car from the segment of criminals that
you CAN protect your car from.

Look at it this way:  Many people put security systems on their homes, but
do you think such a system will foil the professional cat burglar?  Of
course not.  What about detachable faceplate stereos?  90% of people remove
the faceplate and either stick it in the glovebox, underneath the seat, or
in a comparment in the center console/door.  Serious car stereo thieves know
they can find most faceplates within fifteen seconds.  Does this mean that
removeable faceplates are useless as theft deterrent?  In my opinion, no.
In each case, these steps are cost-effective ways to help foil the hack
criminal, and that's almost more important to me than trying (vainly) to
foil the seasoned pro.

Just my opinion...

I hate the hack criminal.  I've had my car stereo stolen twice.  The first
time was such an elegant piece of theft, it looked like it had been removed
by a professional stereo shop.  Tidy, beautifully done.  I hate to admit it,
but I almost had grudging respect for the guy.  He got into a locked car
with virtually no evidence of forced entry, and just SURGICALLY removed my
stereo.  The second time, the guy took a prybar, smashed the door glass and
ripped out half the dashboard, splintering the plastic and mauling everthing
from the glovebox door to the instrument binnacle.  I remember finding the
car the next morning, loooking up at the sky in disgust, and remarking: "Oh,
you low-rent hack.  You're a thief, but you can't even do THAT with any
panachi!  Take a little PRIDE in your work for crying out loud!"

Paul Misencik
Huntersville, NC  28078
email: paul@domain.elided
www.paoloroman.com