re: GTV6 clutch problem--question 1

At 7:14 PM +0000 1/13/03, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:43:49 -0800
From: Kit Redwine <kredwine@domain.elided>
Subject: GTV6 clutch problem--question 1

Hi all,

I experienced something new with my GTV6 this morning.  I was at a stop
light and as I went to engage the clutch pedal, it seemed to sink in further
than usual.  I disengaged it, then pushed it back in and the pressure was
"normal."  The same thing happened at the next light but by the time I got
downtown (10 min later) everything was again back to normal.
In my experience, that indicates that the clutch master cylinder is failing, but it suppose it might also be the slave.

Any thoughts?  Is the clutch going?  When I turn the car off and it's not in
gear with the clutch pedal engaged I get a rumbling from the back of the
car.  My mechanic told me that's a sign that the clutch has a lot of wear on
it.
That generally indicates that your throwout bearing is failing. (I'm assuming that when you refer to "clutch pedal engaged" you mean that the pedal is depressed and the clutch is disengaged.)

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6
'73 Opel