re: GTV6 alternator problem--question 2

At 7:14 PM +0000 1/13/03, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:48:16 -0800
From: Kit Redwine <kredwine@domain.elided>
Subject: GTV6 alternator problem--question 2

Hi again,

My '86 GTV6 has about 140K on it.  I don't know if the alternator has ever
been replaced or worked on.  For the past few months, the batter light on
the dash regularly glows red, especially with the radio, fan, or wipers on.
Under 1500 or so RPMs the radio won't even work at all.  The fan works great
but the wipers and windows are slooooooooooow.
This is not necessarily indicative of a problem with your alternator. Fred (or others) can explain the physics behind this, but it's usually not a major problem. Try cleaning all your fuses and the junction on the LF inner fender that joins the fusebox (2 wires), the alternator, and the battery. GTV6 wipers are unfortunately slow, for a variety of oft-debated reasons. The radio failure makes me think that the afformentioned major junction is excessively dirty and may eventually prevent your car from starting.

Last time I had it looked at my mechanic tightened the alternator belt and
it was apparently given reading correct voltage.
If by correct voltage you mean ~14.3V after a cold start, your alternator is fine, but tightening the belt will probably just cause your water pump to fail prematurely.

-Joe