CD player in GTV6

In a message dated 12/2/2002 7:11:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Has anyone recently installed a CD player in a
> GTV6 and found its shock resistance acceptable?  If so, what model?

Okay, you can file this under Car Audio, CD in GTV6, or All Alfa Owners are
Cheap, Me Included.

But here's what I've done and it works quite well.

The cassette/radio I put in the GTV6 when I first bought it died last year.
In its place, I put in a reasonably-non Rice Boy Clarion "pro Audio"
AM-FM-cassette (with removable control plate).  Other than the buttons being
too small and the whole thing really a but more complicated than it needs to
be, it works well.  It wasn't really cheap (Alfa content) but it wasn't
terribly expensive, either.  And, it has something I thought ridiculous at
first and later learned was a boon: a remote control unit that saves my BW
from having to bend over to operate the radio from the passenger side, which
she truly hates.

I had to disabused myself of any notion of ergonomics anyhow, given the
position of the radio in GTV6.  At the same time, I bought a Sony "Car Ready"
portable CD player, which comes with an output connector in the shape of an
audio cassette.  This thing works on batteries or plugs into the cigarette
lighter (which arrangement is too much of a pain on all but the longest
trips, mostly due to the location of the lighter and the radio).

Unless the driver or passenger kicks the CD player or knocks it over (not
unheard of), it rarely skips on rough patches of road in the GTV6 with
standard shocks.  Ditto the Spider with Konis.

This thing with accessories cost about $US75, and I can use it in the GTV6,
in the Spider,  in hotels and on beaches or on the terrace or wherever, so it
is a 3-in-one wonder.  It's a little more complicated to get ready to play a
CD in the car, but I believe (with only the most casual research) that an
all-in-one car unit of comparable sound quality would cost somewhere in the
vicinity of 600 samoleons, and you would be stuck using it in the one car.

Of course, you also have to remember to bring it along, together with all its
parts, to use it, unlike someone I know who left something home when setting
out on last weekend's fantastic AROSC wine tour to Temecula Valley.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA