Paint chips

In both Randy Long's and Patrick Hood's posts they both imply the use of
a spray gun to paint the chip. I've avoided doing this since as I
previously mentioned, I use single stage paint (meaning, it is Not clear
coated).

I find it often takes three to four fairly heavily brushed on coats so
it is slightly 'proud' of the surrounding paint. I then wet sand using
Only 2000 and that's when I get the dark ring (at least with red).

Patrick's suggestion of using foam is good if I decide to start spraying
in the spots. I bet I know what the shop was using but will check when I
go to the paint shop tomorrow.

To be honest, part of my problem is a combination of being poor and
somewhat fiscially conservative. I would Never use my small touch up gun
to coat a dime sized chip since with even dialing it down, the spray
pattern would be way too large. Since I do use a blender in the paint,
it literally melts the paint underneath and leaves orange peel
especially around the outside edges. I'd rather have a dime sized dark
circle then an eight inch circle of orange peel. If one then sands the
orange peel down there are then all kind of waves in the paint. However,
I do have a Paasche airbrush gun which I would use more often if the
compressor (even at Harbor Freight - special order) wasn't $130-. I'd
(hopefully) only use it once or twice a year and that for me is a big
investment for such limited use.

I've not gone on eBay, but the last thing I'd want is a worn out
compressor. I'm told oilless (which is what H-F's Paasche compressor is)
have a limited life span.

I must admit a combination of slightly building up the chip using a
brush, then applying three or four coats to finish filling might be the
best solution.

As long as I'm beating this to death (as usual) one of the reasons the
chips are so deep (there's always a trade-off), especially on the upper
panels, is a fear of color sanding through to primer. On the '60 Spider,
I applied three medium coats, let dry overnight, sanded with 400,
cleaned, and applied two more coats.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA