Re: Spider cylinder head height?

I've been following this cylinder head height thread with some interest, being in the middle of a rebuild, and after having had the good ol' boy machinist I'm trying to train to take too much off when all I needed was a "cleanup" (now 111.6mmm).
Ouch.. wonder if your good ol' boy will buy you another head..

Doesn't the method suggested above ruin the head gasket, e.g., after assembling (and I assume torquing) the head gasket, it will have been compressed and be unusable for the final rebuild for a running engine? I thought head gaskets can only be used (torqued) once? The alternative I've heard is to run a piece of thick lead soder through the spark plug hole positioning it such that it is between the piston crown and the valve, rotating the engine, then pull out the soder and measure its thickness where it was squeezed between the crown and valve. What are acceptable clearances? Which valve is more likely to have clearance problems - exhaust or intake? Assume 1750 w/stock valves, 11mm intake, 10 mm exhaust cams, tight valve lash ~.014-.016..

THanks.  Good digest topic!   ///kct, Powell, TN

Hmmm.. I'm wondering if you get the same clearance every place a valve gets near a piston.. i.e. if the solder dosen't go right down the middle line of the valve, do you get a wider than minimum reading?

And yes, this is a good topic! I'm thinking various other combinations and possible adjustments.. like perhaps a 2000 using 10.1:1 Motronic pistons, stock or maybe Euro cams, and say maybe I might try the advance the cam trick for greater overlap.. How far till I get in trouble?

Awaiting guru advice on some or all of these, as well as that fundamental question.. How close is too close??

Jon