Got compression?

Whew...........I'm a little stunned.  Before Chela and I brought
"Shakespeare" home a few weeks ago we did a compression check on him.
Three of the four cylinders were in the 140 range, and number three was
low at 90.  I wasn't too worried as I planned on rebuilding the engine
anyway.

I haven't done a whole lot to the car, what with the holidays coming up
and me still being buried in some other extraneous machinery I need to
sell to finance the Alfa rebuild, but I finally wheeled the little car
in to the garage and tinkered with it a little last night.

It definitely has its share of leaks, radiator, fuel lines, etc.  No
worries, all those can be fixed.  The knocking noise seems to have gone
away a little, but I'm still not sure where it's coming from.  Again, it
doesn't matter, the engine's coming out and getting a complete overhaul
anyway.

I did another compression check and couldn't believe my eyes.  Three of
the cylinders were over 200#?!  I've never seen an engine with
compression that high.  What gives?  Has anyone ever seen this out of a
1600cc Alfa engine?  The number three jug was 190 this time around,
which is also very high.  Even with a Euro spec 10.5:1 compression ratio
these numbers seem very high, and I'm completely flabbergasted.  I don't
know what to think.

Regards,
TJ

TJ Noto		AFM #134  	Cowpoke Racing-"Friends in Slow Places"
http://www.cowpokeracing.com
95 Ducati 916 Strada
96 Ducati Monster 900 (Chela's)
61 Ducati Falcone 80
70 Norton Commando Fastback
73 BMW 3.0 CS ("deviated from museum reliquary standard"-Perez)
97 BMW Z3 (Chela's)
77 Mercedes 280C (Mimosa)
67 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
00 Ford F150 Supercab