re: Got compression?

Compressions checks aren't exactly my area of expertise, but I think I've seen 190psi on my GTV6, presumably from carbon build-up in the combustion chambers. I haven't been following your GTV saga though--if it hasn't been run, I don't know where additional combustion chamber crap could have come from. Did you forget to open the throttle for your second check? I don't know what affect that would have but I know you're supposed to have it open.

I suppose if you performed your first test in a pressurized chamber and the subsequent one in outer space, that might explain it...or maybe it wouldn't, since the engine is sucking in air at the same pressure your gauge is relative to.

At 6:07 PM +0000 11/12/02, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:06:36 -0800
From: "TJ" <tj@domain.elided>
Subject: Got compression?

Whew...........I'm a little stunned.  Before Chela and I brought
"Shakespeare" home a few weeks ago we did a compression check on him.
Three of the four cylinders were in the 140 range, and number three was
low at 90.  I wasn't too worried as I planned on rebuilding the engine
anyway.

I haven't done a whole lot to the car, what with the holidays coming up
and me still being buried in some other extraneous machinery I need to
sell to finance the Alfa rebuild, but I finally wheeled the little car
in to the garage and tinkered with it a little last night.

It definitely has its share of leaks, radiator, fuel lines, etc.  No
worries, all those can be fixed.  The knocking noise seems to have gone
away a little, but I'm still not sure where it's coming from.  Again, it
doesn't matter, the engine's coming out and getting a complete overhaul
anyway.

I did another compression check and couldn't believe my eyes.  Three of
the cylinders were over 200#?!  I've never seen an engine with
compression that high.  What gives?  Has anyone ever seen this out of a
1600cc Alfa engine?  The number three jug was 190 this time around,
which is also very high.  Even with a Euro spec 10.5:1 compression ratio
these numbers seem very high, and I'm completely flabbergasted.  I don't
know what to think.