One Year Report, Alfa Romeo 166

Dear John,

Sorry it has taken me so long to write back but I was out of town on a
business trip.

What can I say about the 166, well, I have had her for a year now. She is
known to my friends, family and girlfriend as "La Signora." One of my
cousins actually said that the only thing that she can't do is speak,
because other than that she gives you the feelling of being an actual
person. I purchased the car, a 1999 model 166 2.4 jtd, silver, with black
interior, with 55,000 km on the clock on October 31, 2001.  In a year I
have reached 105,000 km. Let me tell you what, this is one hell of a car.
I have had absolutely no problems with the car except for a small diesel
leak in the fuel rail, around 100 euros in labor and materials all covered
under my 1 year used car warranty.  I have the optional 17 inch wheels and
it makes the car handle like a race car. I have driven all over Italy,
Spain and France with her and she is a great companion.  Don't try driving
in the snow with the 17 inche wheels, the car just does not move in the icy
stuff. As for choosing the engine, I had no choice but the diesel because I
drive so much for work that I need a economical powerplant. I am averaging
13 km/l with this car and I usually drive at about 160-180 km/h on the
highway.  I don4t know where you are writing me from but I think the diesel
is the most wise choice if you live in continental Europe and the 166's
sales reflects about a  80 percent mix for the diesel. This has been my
first diesel car, being American of course we know nothing about  the
merits of diesel powerplants, I absolutely love this 5 cilinder engine. It
is powerful and responsive and has gobs of torque. I have the 136 hp
version but now it is up to 150 horsepower. When I was in Arese for 8
months working on the new spider I drove the 2.4jtd 20 valve version which
should pack in about 180 hp when the face lifted version comes out in ?
2003?. It will also be mated to a 5 speed Aisin Automatic which should be
superb as it is in the THESIS. If your family is in the gasoline business
and you can by "benzina" for cheap of course the obvious choice for
powering the 166  is the glorious 3.0 V6 24 Valve engine, if not, you may
have to marry into the Agip family to afford it. Or, if diesel doesn't do
it for you the 2.0 T. Spark is a lot more attractive now that it is mated
to the 6 speed gearbox.

If you have any more questions please feel free to email me back. I am sure
that I have forgotten something. All in all this is a superb automobile and
I am depressed that I can't take her back with me to the states when I go
back in JANUARY OF 2004.  But, if the Autodelta USA LS (166) is now DOT and
NHTSA certified, what says I can 't claim that a similiarly federalized
vehicle exists as one can claim for the 164 S or L Vs the 164 Q4?

Sincerely,

Sandro Marcantonio
Iveco Pegaso S.L
Business Unit Light Range
Valladolid Daily Factory
Espaqa

Formerly, Product Development Manager, Alfa Romeo Nuova Spider

"JOHN THACKER" <johnt@domain.elided> con fecha 02/11/2002 17:50:23

Destinatarios:    <marcantonio@domain.elided>
CC:
Asunto:  166

I'm looking at replacing my Alfa next year, understand you've got a 166
What do you think of the car? Which engine do you like?
Thanks