exhaust manifold retrofit- 88 Spider

       In my not at all humble opinion, opening up the exhaust is the first
step in making an L Jetronic spider run as it should.
       I have heard, but do not know for sure that the angles at the flanges
of the 91 manifolds are slightly different.  A test fit to make sure the 91
head pipe bolts to the early manifolds would be in order.  If they bolt to
the manifolds, but the incorrect angle is the way they fit the body, then you
can heat and bend the head pipe to fit.  Please report back on how these
parts fit your Alfa.
       I am using a 74 head pipe with a flange welded in place of the
resonator.  The flange came from the front of an old muffler center section.
And the catalysis I used has a flange front and back.  It was intended for a
mid 1970';s spider / Alfetta.  A picture of this cat is in the Alfa Ricambi
ad in recent Alfa Owner Magazines.
       If your O2 sensor screws into the fitting in the head pipe then use
it.  If not, you may have to have the proper fitting welded in place.  I
found a large nut the O2 sensor screwed into.  I ground the nut round to fit
the pipe and to make it thinner before welding to the 74 head pipe.
       Also be aware that the flange at the back of the 91 Catalyst is larger
than the center pipe on the 88 spider.  You may have to get a center section
for a 91.  The connections in front of the rear axle are the same, so the
rear sections interchange.
       I had my 74 exhaust manifolds coated by HPC http://www.hpcoatings.com/
 Jet Hot is also good http://www.jet-hot.com/
       I went with silver as it was the least expensive.  They coat the
manifolds inside and out, which helps with flow and gets the exhaust heat out
of the engine compartment.  I wish I had had my head pipe coated as well.
       After seven years and about 14,000 miles, the coating is still good.
It has worn away on a few places where the exhaust manifold casting was
rough.  I would polish off any high spots or pimples before taking them to
the coating place.  It cost about $120 seven years ago.  I would recommend
coating the components.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City